Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day 1: Food

Breakfast:
NutriFrosted Crunch Cereal 36/40 +++1/2
Frosted Crunch Cereal is supposed to be comparable to a type of Frosted Flakes. The packaging gives the impression of large flakes- until you think about how big a blueberry actually is...
Visual Appeal: 9/10- The flakes are quite small and they are more than just corn flakes. Looks like there are some bran flakes and what looks like rice crisps in there though looking at the ingredients I'm guessing soy. Doesn't look bad other than the portion size seems really small.

Smell: 9/10- Upon opening the package there was a vague almost cardboard smell to the cereal; however, once I poured on the milk it went away. The smell of the cereal reminded me of Corn Flakes. It was a nice corn and milk combo.

Taste: 10/10- Very tasty for cold cereal. I think I was expecting something a little more sweet, but I generally find that frosted flakes is a bit too sugary. This was a nice balance. Think of Corn Flakes with about a half teaspoon of sugar. As for aftertaste it reminded me of grapenuts- a kind of nutty flavor. I could reasonably eat this every day for a month and be satisfied.

Texture: 8/10- Perhaps the bran or the soy but it had a different texture than Corn Flakes. The flakes were a bit more firm between the teeth. It was a little odd to get used to but it passed within the first three bites. On the up side the flakes stayed crunchy in milk an absolute must to get a high rating from me.

Notes: The program gives you a Dairy/Protein and Fruit component to breakfast.
Because I still have a half gallon of 1% milk in the fridge, I'm using that for now-1/2 cup compared to Skim milk (40 calories) to 1% (50 Calories)- not enough to throw out perfectly good food. Still I'll use the increase in fat as my dairy for breakfast. For my fruit I had 1/4 cup pre-packaged pears in water.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lunch:
Chicken and Pasta in Cacciatore Sauce 38/40 ++++
From the picture, it looks to be macaroni pasta with tomatoes, herbs, chunks of chicken, and jalapeno peppers. Based off of the picture I would suspect this lunch is slightly spicy yet very Italian in flavors.



Visual Appeal: 10/10- Upon opening the lid I was expecting to see over boiled macaroni, a little tomato sauce, and some chunks of chicken. I'm pleasantly surprised. The look of the food is pleasant and doesn't look over processed. The chunks of tomato and chicken are about a half inch in width. And there are spices! Take that Chef Boyardee!!! Nice.


Smell: 10/10- I actually got a whiff of the food while it was boiling in my sauce pan. It is comparable to a nice Prego Sauce when heated. The smell of the tomato is robust and you can even smell the spices in the sauce. Very appetizing.

Taste: 10/10- I thought I would mark this down. I have never eaten canned pasta that I've liked. Well there's a first time for everything. Chicken Cacciatore is very flavorful. While upon eating a piece of chicken all I can really taste is the tomato, but that's ok. The balance of spices to vegetables is really well proportioned. I can't say that there is much heat to this- the jallopino factor is not that great I'm afraid. But it is rather tasty. I believe this will be a staple in my pantry.

Texture: 8/10- (Sigh) It would have been nice if this was a ten as well. To be honest when you take a bite it probably is a ten; however, when you separate out the individual components I have to take off points for the macaroni. Same old problem with microwavable meals- overcooked pasta. The noodles are mushy even beyond Chef Boyardee Ravioli, but the upside is- you can't tell when you eat it with the other ingredients. The textures of the tomatoes and the chicken hide the macaroni.

Notes: There are two preparation methods for the chicken. First to microwave and second to place the cup inside a pot of boiling water with the metal lit still intact. For now, I'm going to select the boiling option because sometimes microwaved food can get a "microwaved" after taste. Boiling seems the most objective way of cooking the product.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinner: I was invited to my parents for dinner, but I kept the portions small and focused on the vegies and the watermelon rather than the crab salad.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dessert: Fudge Brownie 39/40 ++++
The package looks good. I'm beginning to expect good things from Nutrisystem. This will be a bad thing if I hit a bad meal.


Visual Appeal: 10/10- while thin 1/2 inch the brownie looks really good. My family, who are all skeptics agreed that it really did look good. Dark brown in color. It looks moist and rich. It is a little narrower than a deck of cards but still large for diet food. Very appealing.

Smell: 10/10- Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate... need I say more? There was no hint of a packaging smell to the brownie. All in all the smell reminded me of a hostess chocodile when I opened it.

Taste: 9/10- It is very, very good. It is very moist and it has a rich lovely chocolate flavor. Dark chocolate mind you not a cut down milk chocolate. I did deduct a point for a slight aftertaste. It was barely noticeable and I attribute it to the soy. I seem to be more aware of the soy flavoring than most people. I had my sister and mother try it and they both said it was really good.

Texture: 10/10- Considering I was expecting something more chewy and perhaps a bit resistant to eating- (I've had diet brownies that are more like eating a dish washing sponge. ) The brownie surprised me. It was moist and cake-like. It melted in my mouth and overall was a delight to eat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todays Water: Managed 8 8oz glasses-- Yay!
Exercise: 30 minutes moderate walking 1/2 up hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment