Sunday, August 9, 2009

Day 37:

Ok... I'm in a substantially better mood today. I'm still freaking out mind you... I'm just handling it better. :)

Which brings me to one of Nutrisystem's best things that doesn't really get that much attention. The support groups. Upon entering Nutrisystem, I didn't really think I would be getting involved with the discussion groups. However, after a month of participating with them, I have to say that it is a marvelous part of the program. You can go onto these message groups, have an absolute melt down, and you get back really wonderful support and advice. Perhaps it is just my little July group but... last week I missed a day on the discussion board and I got several messages from people in my group that asked me if I was alright?

It's funny. We're spread out all over the United States, but somehow their camaraderie bolsters me up when I just can't take it anymore or feel like I'm going crazy. I think even without the food or the program- my discussion group has been the biggest advantage in this diet. They helped me through the three weeks of not losing weight- and I felt good about it. And... I have to say, every time someone from the group drops off or disappears-- I really worry about them too. :)

Meal Review:

I decided to try the Mushroom Risotto yesterday. It is a controversial item. Not everyone likes it. Many say that it tastes like licorice. After the debates I read on line I knew I had to try this one for myself.

Mushroom Risotto: 30/40 +++

Visual Appeal: 8/10-
Opening the package, the risotto reminds me of rice pilaf. It is a mix of multi grains of rice mixed in what looks like mushroom soup. There are large pieces of mushroom that look for the world like rubbery canned mushrooms. Not a restaurant quality risotto. (not that I was expecting real Italian rice- but I wished hard.) :)

Smell: 8/10-
The smell is very close to cream of mushroom soup. Now I should clarify- this smells like cream of mushroom soup that is fat free. There is a difference and this is definitely the non-fatty variety. There is a faint odor of anise. (Licorice smell) It hangs above the mushroom enticingly.

Taste: 6/10-
I'm surprised to say that the taste is relatively bland. The anise flavor seems to dissipate as soon as you take your first or second bite. The rice has hardly any flavor and the mushroom soup does just what the fat free variety does. It gives the faint taste of mushroom and then blends with whatever it is with-- unfortunately that is tasteless rice. Every time you eat one of the mushrooms however it picks up flavor again, but mostly mushroom soup. It's a shame. I was hoping the anise would make this a pleasure to eat- It wasn't bad or horrible, but it didn't have me scraping the sauce off the plate either.

Texture: 7/10-
Texture is always an issue with Nutrisystem. I'm happy to say that the rice wasn't mushy, but the mushrooms were rubbery. It was a meal that matched it's look. Beige. Beige flavor, Beige consistency, Beige Beige, Beige... (sigh) I'm disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment